“A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.” Phyllis Diller
Phyllis knew what so many of us forget – smiling makes the world a brighter place. She was an American stand-up comedienne, actress, singer, dancer, and voice artist, best known for her eccentric stage persona, her self-deprecating humor, her wild hair and clothes, and her exaggerated, cackling laugh. I remember her crazy hair!
You couldn’t help but smile when you looked at her…and when she started talking or laughing – your smile grew bigger until you were laughing right along with her. Smiling does make everything okay – it is virtually impossible to stay angry if you put a smile on your face. Here are some of my favorite reasons to smile.
1. Smile at a stranger…it makes them feel connected with the world and may end up being the beginning of a friendship.
2. Smiling uses less muscles than frowning (and this leads to fewer wrinkles).
3. Smiling is contagious. If you smile in a meeting or a store or on a bus…you can watch as smiles start appearing on the faces around you – even when they don’t know what they are smiling about. And sometimes it can lead to contagious laughter like in this video.
4. Smiling brightens up your face – go look at yourself in the mirror – try smiling, frowning and neither. There is a huge increase in your attractiveness factor when you are smiling.
5. We learn as babes that no one can resist a smile – this carries through as an adult. If you are at a party and one person you are interested in meeting is smiling and another one you are interested in meeting is neutral or frowning – who are you going to go meet.
6. Smiling can make people wonder what you know that they don’t.
7. Smiling can make people wonder what you are up to and be a great conversation starter.
8. Smiling can often lead to laughter which is a great way to exercise your insides and fill your body up with happy endorphins!
9. Smiling reaches across all kinds of distances – anger, unhappiness, frustration – you never know but your smile could help someone else out of a deep, dark pit.
10. Smiling makes you feel good.
One of my all time favorite songs – it is sure to make you smile!